Do you know what is one of the biggest problems faced by Indian schools today? Take a guess!
It is the skewed student to teacher ratio. According to this, India has around 1.5 million schools from levels K-12 (kindergarten to Grade 12), with a student base of 253 million.
Besides this, in an independent study by the Azim Premji Foundation, out of 1,887 schools in Karnataka, classrooms with a Pupil-to-Teacher (PTR) ratio between 15 and 20 showed the best learning levels, while performance dropped sharply as the ratio increased. Meaning, the lesser number of students a teacher has to concentrate on, the better results a school can see.
According to PIB, at present, PTR at the national level for elementary schools is 24:1, while it’s 27:1 in secondary schools – which is a tad bit higher than the ideal ratio. This rising pupil to teacher ratio can only compromise the learning experience in a classroom.
So, how does edtech help? In this post, we will tell you how edtech can help schools manage a high student to teacher ratio effectively without compromising on quality.
Catering to the Digital Natives
Let’s be honest. Students, today, are the digital natives. They are comfortable with digital technology from an early stage in their lives.
Learning from a monologue lecture, writing down from a blackboard and replicating it in an exam are old fashioned methods for digital natives.
Not only do they need newer teaching pedagogy, but they will also need interactive educational products that can stimulate their sensory systems, create a playful environment, enhance their confidence and boost their motivation to learn. This allows them to learn better and remember for a longer period of time.
For example, many edtech products like Playablo for schools, allow teachers to conceptualize, create gamified quizzes and assessments that support learning. They can go home, work on these digital assessments, get instant feedback and improve their knowledge (without waiting for the next time they see their teachers).
A lot of schools are now adopting these edtech tools to enhance their curriculum and keep their teaching methods up to date.
It is difficult for students to learn if they are not motivated and interested. If they were actually learning in the schools, they wouldn’t resort to private tuitions.
According to a report by NSSO, the number of students who resort to tuitions is estimated at 7 crores, which is 26% of the total number of students in this country. The report also estimates that 11-12% of family incomes are geared towards this. While you may think it is only the rich that resort to private coaching, the children of poorer sections of the society resort to it just as much.
Edtech tools can help in this scenario. For example, Playablo for School allows to
- Make studies a fun-filled experience: Playablo combines the academic curriculum custom made for every school with gamified Quiz to make education a fun-filled experience.
- Practice: Students often lack confidence before tests due to lack of practice. Out app allows students to practice the skill before starting with the assignment thereby gaining experience on complexities in the skill and boosting their confidence in answering the assignment
- Review: Playablo allows the student to review the quizzes they have answered and track their usage, performance, and ranking over a period of time.
If students are engaged in the classroom, real learning happens. This also makes private coaching an option, not a necessity.
In a traditional classroom, teachers adopt one method to teach and carry on with it. Taking the time to evaluate each student and creating different assignments (according to individual students need) is almost never possible.
Playablo for school, an edTech tool we developed keeping in mind the needs of the teachers, include all these features that save you time
- Single Dashboard View: It provides you with a single dashboard view of the entire classrooms performance for individual subjects. This helps you understand which subjects need more attention in general.
- Learn from other sections: Every school has several sections with different teachers, right? Playablo for school allows you to find the trend in the overall classroom performance over a period and compare it across sections. If your classroom is doing better in one subject, other
- Breakdown of performance: Playablo shows a unique breakdown of competency performance in every subject and compares the same with students across the sections.
- Insights into understanding: This gives deep insights into the students level of understanding of the Subject.
- Identify pain points: Playablo assists the teacher in identifying the students who are performing below the class average and whom the teacher can provide more attention to bring them on par.
- Performance reports: The teacher can drill down into the performance reports of the student to find the areas which need improvement and focus working on it.
- Skill analysis: Playablo highlights the skill in which performance is below the overall classroom performance across all skills.
- Customized tests: The teacher can create unique assignments for each skill for the entire classroom or for individual students. It also allows the ability to dynamically create quizzes with varying complexities.
Educational tech tools save time that is spent correcting assignments. For example, Playablo for Schools, allow teachers to create unique assignments for each skill, classroom or individual student and corrects it automatically.
These quizzes and automatic assessments save 20-25% of a teacher’s time which can then be spent on teaching as opposed to chores related to homework and worksheets.
Besides this, schools and teachers can use these features to inform their teaching pace, assessments and pedagogy. These automated assessments quickly produce a pattern that helps teachers identify the focus areas and intervene with targeted coaching right away.
In short, technology-driven educational products take a lot off a teacher’s shoulders. Most importantly, the time taken by the teachers to do administrative tasks like setting up a quiz, correcting them, scoring them, and trying to find out what students are having a problem with, is cut down drastically.
To survive in this competitive world today, students need to develop creative thinking and reasoning, which a traditional classroom will never be able to achieve. It goes beyond choosing the right option or writing the right answer. Schools and teachers need to empower students, from an early stage, with problem-solving skills, ability to deal with stress, professional values, and ethics.
This makes it imperative for education boards like CBSE and ICSE to invest in smart learning infrastructure. Of course, investing in edtech does not mean cutting down on textbooks and classroom lectures; it simply aims at making the classroom experience engaging, motivating and up to date.
If you are interested in partnering with Playablo, email us at email@example.com or call us at +91-97408 78833